Seán Heuston Bridge - Cast Iron Bridge Across The Liffey Beside Heuston Station, Dublin, originally uploaded by infomatique.
The bridge has an overall width of just under 9 meters.
Originally designed by George Papworth to carry horsedrawn traffic, the foundation stone was laid on December 12, 1827. The iron castings for the bridge were produced at the Royal Phoenix Iron Works in nearby Parkgate Street. The foundry which also produced the parapets for the upstream Lucan Bridge. Construction completed in 1828, and the bridge was opened with the name Kings Bridge to commemorate a visit by King George IV in 1821.
In 1923 the bridge was renamed as Sarsfield Bridge after Patrick Sarsfield, and in 1941 it was again renamed as the Seán Heuston Bridge for Seán Heuston, who was executed for his part in the 1916 Easter Rising.
It was restored in 2003 and now carries Luas tram tram traffic on the red line.